My Life, My Obsessions

Sunday, March 30, 2008

Strawberries

While I was in college, my roommates and I had an ongoing joke about one of our roommates. Whenever something was on sale, Kristina would buy a ton of whatever it was. I am not exaggerating when I say that she had a year's supply of feminine products. So we used to joke about it by saying "It was on sale so I bought two." Well this week strawberries were on sale (88 cents a pound -how can you resist?), so we bought ten pounds. We're actually thinking about going back for more to make into freezer jam.

So I convinced my five year old son that he wanted to help out and we washed, stemmed, and froze seven pounds of strawberries. We like to add them to drinks in the blender (strawberry lemonade, banana strawberry, strawberry shakes, etc). In case you're not a math whiz, that left us with three pounds of strawberries. It was the prettiest three pounds, I sorted them out. We made the best chocolate sauce ever and an angel food cake and by bedtime we were down to two pounds of strawberries.

Since strawberry season is beginning, I'll add the chocolate sauce recipe for anyone that wants to try it. It came from a very nice lady that goes to church with my mother-in-law. It is also really good on fresh pineapple or eaten by the spoonful. I even put it on brownies. I couldn't help myself.

The Chocolate Sauce
1 Hershey Bar (regular size)
1- 14 ounce can Sweetened Condensed Milk
6 ounces Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
1/2 cup Butter (not margarine or other substitutes)
about 1/3 cup milk (to consistency)
Melt everything but the regular milk in a medium saucepan on medium heat until smooth. Take pan off of burner and stir in milk slowly until it reaches the right consistency (not too runny). It will thicken slightly when it cools. Let it cool or you'll burn your tongue -I know this from experience and not just mine (my husband can't keep out of it either). The best part is that it doesn't ever harden.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home