My Life, My Obsessions

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Easter Sweet Rolls

Easter almost snuck up on me this year. We just happened to be looking at the calender to schedule a trip for the summer, when we discovered that Easter is in March this year. So know I've been thinking about Easter. We've been trying to remind my five year old that Easter is more than the Easter Bunny and egg hunts. We sat down to share the story with the kids and my husband asked him "What does Easter make you think of?" My son immediately answered "Jesus died for us." Then we did a flannel board story (minus the flannel board -just double sided tape and the TV screen) and he proceeded to tell my husband and I the story of Christ's resurrection. I guess he pays attention more than I think.

So, I was remembering what we did last year for Easter. I had to teach the children at church and did an egg activity (plastic eggs filled with different items) to tell the story of the crucificition. But the highlight of the class was the rolls. I spent the day before making almost five dozen rolls. It was worth the effort. They tasted great and I got tons of compliments. Not only is it a great way to remind the kids of Christ's resurrection, but they taste great. I'm posting the recipe now in case anyone wants to make them this year. If I remember, I'll add pictures when I make them.

Even if you don't celebrate Easter, these are a great treat.

Easter Sweet Rolls

1 package of frozen dinner rolls –thawed (or make your own roll dough recipe)
1 bag of large marshmallows (don’t use old or stale marshmallows)
1 tsp cinnamon
6 Tbs sugar
¼ cup (half a stick) of butter/margarine

Preheat the oven to 350 F. Melt the butter and set it aside. Mix the cinnamon and sugar together in a small bowl and set aside.

Divide the dough into roll-sized servings as you normally would to bake them. (Store bought rolls will already be divided.) Flatten each roll into a circle and place one marshmallow in the middle.

Close the circle of dough around the marshmallow. Be sure to seal it inside by pinching around the sides, then roll in your hands to minimize the seam and reform the ball.

Place in pan. Brush the melted butter on the tops of the rolls. Sprinkle cinnamon sugar over the rolls.

Bake for 15 minutes or the amount of time recommended for the frozen dough. Rolls are done when they turn golden brown.

The marshmallow will have melted inside, leaving the roll empty, just as Christ’s tomb was found empty when he had risen.

*You can make these the day before. After sprinkling the cinnamon sugar on top, cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge until you're ready to bake them Sunday morning.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home