My Life, My Obsessions

Monday, October 29, 2007

A Halloween Treat!

A long time ago I signed up for the Bright Ideas e-newsletter. The last one had a recipe for Mummies made from pretzels and chocolate. I have a weakness for chocolate and love the sweet/salty mix. I was able to convince my cute husband that this would be a great addition to our pumpkin carving party. He has a weakness for chocolate too.

Because I have small children, it's easiest to spread out the process. So Sunday I did the pretzel dipping, while Hubby tried to keep the kids away (a near impossible task). I used an improvised double boiler instead of microwaving like the directions said. I'm also substituting chocolate chips for the Dove bars. I used the entire bag of chocolate chips plus the remnants of a previous bag. It ended up making more than the recipe says.

Here they are about halfway through the process.

I didn't have vanilla frosting so I used the cream cheese frosting that I had on hand. When I make sugar cookies I double the batch of both cookie dough and frosting. Then I divide it up and freeze it. It makes the process a little easier for subsequent cookie making fun. So I happened to have my ziplock of frosting ready. Just snip the corner and squirt!
This is about half of what we made.

They were a big hit. My son told me they were scary. He was talking about the good, fun kind of scary (not the Haunted House kind of scary -long story). My daughter enjoyed hers as well, starting with the frosting. She was a chocolaty mess when she finished.

To keep us from eating all of them, we took a few plates to our neighbors. Share the sugar highs! I think these will be a yearly tradition. They were a lot of fun to make and taste great!

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

  • OMG those are so cute! We've made dipped pretzels before, but not the mummies. Too cute.

    By Blogger Willow, At 8:26 PM  

  • Ok, those are seriously cool! I LOVE making chocolate! My kids broke my awesome glass double boiler so I recently bought a nice stainless steel one. Cute blog!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 10:34 AM  

  • I should get a double boiler. I just use an empty can in a pot of water. It works fine until the chocolate level goes down and the can starts to float -and tip!

    By Blogger Emily, At 11:42 AM  

  • That is such a neat idea!

    By Blogger Lindsey, At 7:53 AM  

  • My are you talented. This is way too cute. Keep up the good work (and hanging out with your kids. Kudos to you).

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 4:27 AM  

  • What a cool idea! I wonder if you could do something like that for other holidays as well.

    By Blogger Melissa, At 1:13 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home